So what is this?

Welcome to Seven Moms. We are seven friends that regularly share our life stress and chaos, prayer requests, and general vent-type stuff with each other. One friend said, "Hey, I think we have a bunch of wisdom that we can share with other people. Why don't we start a blog?"

We write just once a month, all on the same topic, and no one sees the others' blog posts until they are posted here, to remove that awful comparison monster and to let the Holy Spirit do His thing. Some months we only have five posts, some we have all seven. But in the midst of life, sometimes posts don't get written. And if we are one thing, we are real.

So here we are. We don't have all the answers, but we do love people and Jesus with pretty much all we have. Enjoy our blogs and let us know what you think, either by leaving a comment or emailing us at sevenmomsblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Beginnings - Brenda

I have an old suitcase that I purchased at an estate sale.  Estate sales make me uncomfortable.  

The idea of going through another’s things after they have passed on makes me uneasy and reminds me that I’m not here forever.   I’m not sure what attracted me to the suitcase.  It is from a day when things were made to last, has a silken, beige liner and a sturdy Samsonite body and handle.  I wonder
who it belonged to and the places it has traveled.  

It sits in my living room as part of the décor now and no longer travels abroad.  Perhaps,   I have it to remind me of other more important things like the brevity of life and how I shouldn’t carry too much in it if I expect to not wear myself out in the journey I am on these days.  

How maybe I shouldn’t even have a bag at all because there wouldn’t be anywhere to store those unnecessary things.  

How I don’t need my suitcase because I’ve given whatever I would have held onto to Christ.

So, with the New Year’s arrival, I am considering the suitcase of my life and its accumulation of extra weight and why I have once again held on to things that should have been let go.   One of the weightiest items is regret.   I am again reminded that I was never meant to carry it.   Yet, it is in my suitcase.   I’m leaving it behind because hanging on to malignant regret and condemnation after Christ has forgiven it is to deny the divine grace of Christ that is extended fresh and new every morning.  

If there is one thing I resolve to do this year, it is to live every day in the knowledge of His love and mercy and to let go every day of the disease of perfectionism.  He is the cure.
Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Hebrews 12:

1Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.…

No comments:

Post a Comment