So what is this?

Welcome to Seven Moms. We are seven friends that regularly share our life stress and chaos, prayer requests, and general vent-type stuff with each other. One friend said, "Hey, I think we have a bunch of wisdom that we can share with other people. Why don't we start a blog?"

We write just once a month, all on the same topic, and no one sees the others' blog posts until they are posted here, to remove that awful comparison monster and to let the Holy Spirit do His thing. Some months we only have five posts, some we have all seven. But in the midst of life, sometimes posts don't get written. And if we are one thing, we are real.

So here we are. We don't have all the answers, but we do love people and Jesus with pretty much all we have. Enjoy our blogs and let us know what you think, either by leaving a comment or emailing us at sevenmomsblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Beginnings -- Jamie

The task: Disseminate wisdom in 500 words or less concerning a specified topic.
The topic:  New Beginnings.  Starting Over.  A Fresh Start.
Nothing.  I’ve got nothing. 
You see, the thing is, I’m pretty good at starting things, but I lack finishing power.  Not a closer.  I don’t finish well.  As a result of years of not succeeding in completing what I have started, I am now almost too ashamed to begin anything at all.  Why endeavor to try when failure is the only result?
Defeat.  A tool the enemy uses often in my life.  Why try?  Why bother?  Complacency is the way to go! 
At least that’s how I figured it when looking at past journals and reading my pleas for God to give me victory; particularly in the area of my weight.  As if that was the only area in my life that needed attention.   It’s been much easier to leave those less identifiable ugly character traits hidden behind my self-righteousness. 
All my life, I have related my worth to my weight.  Somehow I was more worthy, more loveable, as a thinner person than as one who exhibits to the whole world her lack of control when it comes to food.  “What a fat loser!”  I have many years of worshipping at the idol of me.  The enemy has tricked me into thinking that this area is the only one to define my worth.   
Here’s the deal, though…Jesus is victorious and His Spirit lives in me.  I am His child.  What does it say about my worth if He chose me before time began, then died and rose for me?  Did he die just for the skinny me; The “together” me; The “me” that I work so hard for others to see?
No! He died for the real me.  The at-times-gluttonous, gossipy, hot-tempered, non-filtered, highly opinionated me, who desperately needed a Savior long before ever realizing the God-sized gaping hole in my soul. 
That is where my victory lies! Victory lies in the hands of my Savior.  No, I don’t have permission to gain a ba-jillion pounds, but I don’t have to hang my worth on the scale.  I can gaze into the tender eyes of my Father and bask in the love that pours forth from His eyes bathing me in His righteousness and victory. 
Lamentations 3:  21-23  states: “This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. The Lord’s lovingkindnesses  indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning;  Great is Your faithfulness.

There is hope for new beginnings, fresh starts, and do-overs!

1 comment: