So what is this?

Welcome to Seven Moms. We are seven friends that regularly share our life stress and chaos, prayer requests, and general vent-type stuff with each other. One friend said, "Hey, I think we have a bunch of wisdom that we can share with other people. Why don't we start a blog?"

We write just once a month, all on the same topic, and no one sees the others' blog posts until they are posted here, to remove that awful comparison monster and to let the Holy Spirit do His thing. Some months we only have five posts, some we have all seven. But in the midst of life, sometimes posts don't get written. And if we are one thing, we are real.

So here we are. We don't have all the answers, but we do love people and Jesus with pretty much all we have. Enjoy our blogs and let us know what you think, either by leaving a comment or emailing us at sevenmomsblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Beginnings -- Terri

I wrote a New Year's post a few years ago about how I am not doing resolutions.  It resonated with a lot of people who were tired of parading their expectations for their new year with friends and family, most of which didn't happen.  I'm still all about that.

But let's go one step further.

Rather than refuse to look forward and predict life, which can be highly unpredictable, let's instead decide to
look back.

Look back to what you did good last year.  Did you give birth?  That is huge.  Staples Rewards points for if you already had a child.

Did you make it through another school year?  That's cause for celebration right there!  Whether you homeschool or gotoschool, ending another year is a major milestone, multiplied by however many kids you have!  Bonus points if you had an especially difficult circumstance to hurdle!!!

Did you have any teachable moments with your family?  You can't buy those in any store, so multiply each moment times PRICELESS.

Did you reach a point of satisfaction or contentment with your life?  I know that this is the year that I finally got happy with the idea of being a single mom.  Leaning into Jesus and trusting Him to make it happen is such a great feeling.  And trust me, there were more than a few times that I prayed, "God, you are going to have to do this, 'cuz I got nothin'."  But God is always right, always there, and always looking out for my best interests!

Did you seek out God?  Like, really, really, really seek out God?  Like, fall on your face seek out God?  That in itself is huge.  And for me, that's really where it all began.  And I still let pride take over, and I still am a glutton, and I still curse in my head and sometimes out loud.  But I'm drawn to the goodness and graciousness of God rather than dwelling on the guilt of already-confessed sin.

So a few things happened, but you want more for this year?  Que?  Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and lean not into your own thinking, but in ALL your ways seek Him out.

And let's talk again next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment