So what is this?

Welcome to Seven Moms. We are seven friends that regularly share our life stress and chaos, prayer requests, and general vent-type stuff with each other. One friend said, "Hey, I think we have a bunch of wisdom that we can share with other people. Why don't we start a blog?"

We write just once a month, all on the same topic, and no one sees the others' blog posts until they are posted here, to remove that awful comparison monster and to let the Holy Spirit do His thing. Some months we only have five posts, some we have all seven. But in the midst of life, sometimes posts don't get written. And if we are one thing, we are real.

So here we are. We don't have all the answers, but we do love people and Jesus with pretty much all we have. Enjoy our blogs and let us know what you think, either by leaving a comment or emailing us at sevenmomsblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Transformation --Jamie

“Have you thanked Him yet?”  If I had a dollar for every time my daddy asked me that question, I would be a wealthy woman.  The question was usually voiced in response to my latest
disappointment or cry for pity.  It was annoying, to say the least.  The question wasn’t whether I was thankful for the good stuff, but was I thanking the Lord for the yucky, undesirable, hurtful things. 
My response, although never audible, was usually, “No!  I have NOT thanked Him yet!  Why would I?  This is terrible.  It’s no fair!  I deserve better!  My heart is broken!”
Fast forward to another morning not too many years ago.   This time the question was different.  The question was, “What if your situation never changes?
I Thessalonians 5: 18 states, “In everything give thanks for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.” (NASB)  The ESV translates it this way, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
I set out to prove my father wrong.  To be honest, my attitude was more along the lines of “I’ll show you!”  After searching the word for verses on saying thank you, I started with personal gripes about my house, yard, finances, husband and kids.  I held nothing back.
To my amazement, something began to happen.  While I had purposed in my heart to only thank God for the “bad”, I found myself slipping up and thanking Him for the things I considered blessings. Like the opening of a bud, pretty soon, this toddler-like fit I was throwing turned into an all-out praise and worship experience.  
What had happened?  Had I suddenly become financially well-off?  Were all the fix-it issues with my house solved?  Did I have a husband and children who lived only to do my bidding and make me happy?  No!  Everything outwardly was in exactly the shape it had been at the beginning of this little experiment.  What had changed was me!  
Obedience does that, you know.  These verses on thanksgiving were notoptional any more than the verses that directed me not to kill, steal or commit adultery were merely suggestions.  This was a command of my Heavenly Father.  He expected me to obey Him. That was His right as my Master.  My disobedience had robbed me of my joy as well as His blessing.
Giving thanks for the good and the bad, the hard and the easy, the unpleasant and the wonderful, has brought about an intimate fellowship with the “Lover of my soul”.  It has made trusting Him and His sovereign plan a little easier. God has given me an opportunity to share this perspective with my children, my students, and others. Hallelujah!  You’re right, it makes no logical sense to thank God for EVERYTHING, but you can’t afford  not to.  
Go ahead, I dare you.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment