So what is this?

Welcome to Seven Moms. We are seven friends that regularly share our life stress and chaos, prayer requests, and general vent-type stuff with each other. One friend said, "Hey, I think we have a bunch of wisdom that we can share with other people. Why don't we start a blog?"

We write just once a month, all on the same topic, and no one sees the others' blog posts until they are posted here, to remove that awful comparison monster and to let the Holy Spirit do His thing. Some months we only have five posts, some we have all seven. But in the midst of life, sometimes posts don't get written. And if we are one thing, we are real.

So here we are. We don't have all the answers, but we do love people and Jesus with pretty much all we have. Enjoy our blogs and let us know what you think, either by leaving a comment or emailing us at sevenmomsblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Jamie - my favorite verse

Be Still
We used to have a dog named Honey.  Among other things, she never learned to walk properly on the leash.
 She hated that leash, pulling against it so violently that it seemed she could be heard hacking and retching for miles around.  Frankly, it was so embarrassing that we simply gave up and left her at home while we walked her sister.  Of course, that brought yelps and howls of displeasure as well.  There was no winning with this girl. Lucky for her, she was cute.
I am not so unlike Honey.  I’ve never enjoyed leashes – or fences for that matter.  When my parents bought a house with a nice fenced-in backyard, I promptly climbed out of the fence and crossed the street to explore the neighboring subdivision.  Mother and Daddy learned early to give me very clear definitions of my “territory”.  For whatever reason, I was able to live within those boundaries as long as they didn’t include a fence.
Unfortunately, this resistance wasn’t just a childhood malady.  I have often struggled against God’s leashes in my life.  When I cannot see what God is up to, I pull and strain against the leashes he has placed on me.  When I am afraid, I yelp and howl and cower as if He is not God enough to handle whatever plagues me.  Sometimes I don’t know what keeps God from knocking me upside my head.  There is certainly nothing “cute” about my behavior.
Psalm 46:10 says, “Cease striving [Let go; relax; be still] and KNOW that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
Cease striving.  What a difficult concept!  I used to think of this command only in terms of the physical, but now I know that it is akin to soul stillness.  Like a freshwater spring, it comes from deep within and brings peace, life and healing.  It is there that I am refreshed.
Life these days is practically full of frenetic activity; church, school, sports, family, ministry.  To cease striving, to relax, to let go, is not natural, but must be learned and then practiced.   The act of being still wars against everything in my nature.  Enough of the retching and straining as I attempt to lead.  It is time to stop pulling against His leash and lean into His bosom.  It is there I will find my rest.

Not only am I commanded to be still, but I am to know (acknowledge) that HE is God.  My focus is to be on Him and to listen for whatever it is He has to say to me.  He will not yell or badger.  He will wait until I am quiet and then He will whisper.  Oh how I want to hear His whispers to my soul; to feel His breath on my ear; to be intimately acquainted with His voice.  Oh to enjoy such rest. Make is so, Lord Jesus, make it so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment